The Squash Section has a long history at the RHKYC and has participated in the annual leagues run by Hong Kong Squash since the beginning. With most of us having ‘webbed feet’ it has been difficult to get into the top divisions of one of the most thriving Squash fraternities in the world of more than 3,000 registered and competing players.
Nevertheless, successive generations of the Club’s players have brought some success and we are amongst the most active of Hong Kong ’s sporting clubs.
The 2010/2011 Winter Season saw our Div 10 team finishing 4th, Team Div 15 finished 6th and our Master M3 Team finished in the top 10 !
The exciting part was the Chanpionship Win in the Summer League of our Div 4A Team... Div 6A finished 4 and Div 8A finished 8
To promote Squash amongst RHKYC members, their families and friends, as an outstanding way of keeping fit and having fun! All are welcome to play, either in the Club’s representative teams or just for enjoyment.
The following annual schedule is a measure of both the Club’s competitive and social spirit at all levels:
- RHKYC Internal League (Monthly ‘box’ and challenge). Follow this ongoing, challenging competition for monthly, bragging rights within the club. Enter your scores here.
- HK Squash Winter League, Sep – Apr. (We enter 3 teams in 3 separate divisions out of 24 in total. Five players are selected each week to form each team and compete for the club. At least one of those teams plays in the Masters Division – 40 yrs and over. Each team is drawn from 12 – 15 listed players.
- HK Squash Summer League, Jun – Sep. (We enter 3 teams in separate divisions, 12 divisions in all. Three players out of 6 listed players compete each week for their team.
- Local Individual Open Championships (bi-annual)
- Overseas Doubles Championships
- Scribe’s Trophy (a match between RHKYC, HKFC, AMC)
- Inter-Club Event (a match between six of the clubs)
- Wing Ding Annual Running Squash Championships (For Charity, 1 team of 8 players, each having to play 13 consecutive, 3 minute games – in ‘fancy dress – great and exhausting fun’!). To know more about the Wing Ding Charity Squash tournament, please go to www.wingding.hk
- RHKYC Handicap tournament (Annual, with Sponsored BBQ). Prize-giving immediately thereafter. (Cup champion 2010: Max von Poelnitz)
- Saturday morning ‘free Squash’ sessions (just turn up and play – all welcome)
Appearing on Court
You can book a court at the Club’s Reception when open, or the Main Bar (tel. 2832 2817). Sessions are 45 mins and cost HK$40 (HK$50 if one of the players is a non-RHKYC member). If you are new to the game, or need to get back into it, call one of the Committee / Convenors (details listed above) and come along! There is also a ‘free session’ on Saturday from 1015 – 1230am, when you can play with anyone else who turns up – a good way to meet people and to widen your experience.
The Rules of Squash have been refined over the years and you may refresh yourself here or here. Note that, following a decision made by the WSF in 2008, the English scoring system has given way to (PAR = Point a Rally scoring); in Hong Kong (Winter League), we play to 15 – except at the highest level, which is played to 11, as is the Summer League. Safety is key, so wear safety goggles/glasses and know the local interpretation of the ‘Turning Rule’.
Most of all, ladies, gentlemen and your kids – ENJOY YOUR SQUASH!
The photos on this page are refreshed every month or two, so if you have a dynamic shot of our teams or individual players (high resolution), send it in for consideration. There are some more in the ‘gallery’ showing action from different events in the year.